Saturday, May 22, 2010

When will my sunflowers & other flowers actually flower?

I planted "Midnight Sun" Sunflowers (from seed,Convolvulus seeds %26amp; Marigold Seed back in March,I live in KY so I planted these in containers in case of frost %26amp; when it got cold some nights I brought them in. So right now,my midnight sun sunflowers(have about 8 in a pot) are about 3 feet high and seem to be growing higher every day yet there are NO SIGNS of flowering, just the BIG GREEN STEMS %26amp; leaves.Then the convolvulus are about 2 ft. high-same thing just stems %26amp; green leaves,they both look very healthy but when wil the flowers start growing?Or even a sign of the flowers? Then the marigolds seem to be taking FOREVER. they are just a few inches high-green leaves-bo flowers yet although I planted them March 1st, I used Miracle-Gro soil which is supposed to help them grow better. Also a few other plants having problems-strawberries-bought 2 months ago in container-and transplanted to Miracle-Gro-bigger pot-they have not grown any bigger YET,what's up? They get sun %26amp; water every day

When will my sunflowers %26amp; other flowers actually flower?
i live here in KY also! ur plants won't flower till early to mid summer! they are heat loving plants so it will take those long warm summer nights to get em to flower! stawberries are usually cool spring time plants, give em time to get established and they will take off like a weed! mine already has "runners"......but it's been in the ground for quite some time now! give em time and u'll be rewarded for ur patience!
Reply:sunflowers will flower when they recieve enough sun--they need a certain number of hours of exposure to flower. I once had sunflowers in the full shade of a pecan tree that sprouted from birdseed! They flowered in October, but they did it!


No comments:

Post a Comment