Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why is it that my annuals bloom their little hearts out just before the frost?

I have taken good care of my Impatiens, marigolds, petunias and geraniums all summer and given them Miracle Grow and yet they have been very apathetic until now. I notice this goes on year after year.

Why is it that my annuals bloom their little hearts out just before the frost?
Annuals do tend to fade if you are in an area that gets hot and dry and then quite often do come back for that last effort to reproduce before they die.


It really is all about reproducing. That is why dead heading is so important if you want lots of flowers. The plant know when it has set seeds, and will slow down to concentrate on nurishing the seed pods. If there are no seed pods it will give a burst of energy to try to set some before the end of the season.
Reply:omg me too!!!! my petunias died off like 2 months ago from the heat and now - now - they have decided to bloom again!!! my roses too!





I think it has more to do with how much rain they are now getting (even though i water) and how hot it is. it was so hot in the south this summer, that we almost couldn't keep our grass green!


No comments:

Post a Comment