Sunday, May 16, 2010

What kind of flowers can I plant in my garden?

I need the flowers to be colorful. I want an assortment and they can't grow more than 6 inches tall. They will be in full sun. Don't matter if annuals or perennials. It could be a mix of both. They will be growing along the fence in front of the house where everyone can see. I usually plant marigolds. Love those. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

What kind of flowers can I plant in my garden?
Usually annuals are your best bet for a lot of colour. Marigolds, petunias would be great if the garden is to be seen from a distance as the blooms are large and colour intense. Petunias would have a better selection of colours. Pansies are pretty but usually have darker colours so don't have a same impact from distance. Sweet allysum makes a nice border and smells nice.





My favourite plants are perennials because each spring my dear old friends reappear and the anticipation of seeing them come from nothing to something is fun.





My favourite 6 inch, colourful perennials include violas, which are great for blooms all summer. There are a great deal of plants that blooms for varying lengths of time and at different times of the year including dwarf geraniums (not the annual sort as they would grow taller than 6 inches although they are one very classy plants and you can bring them indoors in the fall as start a whole bunch of plants for the following year.) If your garden bed is dry, because it is in the sun, perhaps you might enjoy the various types of ground sedums. Other dwarf and ground cover perennials I like are Snow in summer, thyme, sweet woodroffe, forget me nots. Yes, spring is here!





Evelyn


No comments:

Post a Comment