Sunday, May 16, 2010

What is the best way to keep bugs out of the corn in my garden?

I would prefer something non chemical, I've been told planting marigolds with the corn will keep them off. I've heard that works for rabbits, but for bugs? I'm in north east Georgia.

What is the best way to keep bugs out of the corn in my garden?
Yep, marigolds will work. Another thing you can do, but you'll have to do it once a week or so, is to sprinkle flour on the leaves and stems as much as possible. Take an old mayo jar or something like that, use a nail to poke a bunch of holes in the lid and fill the jar with flour. Then early in the morning while there is dew on the plants, sprinkle the flour on it.
Reply:Try spreading some used coffee grounds around the base of each plant. Bugs hate this and it adds some nutrients back to the soil. Most coffee shops will give you thier old grounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment